Train Derailment Attorney in West Virginia
A train derailment occurs whenever a train car or cars leaves the railroad tracks. A train derailment can result in severe injuries or even death to passengers, railroad employees and bystanders. Many trains carry toxic chemicals, so a derailment that results in a toxic or hazardous spill can be devastating to the local residents. Evacuations of entire small towns have had to occur due to some of these train derailment spills. When something like this occurs, it is vital to obtain the services of a highly skilled professional personal injury attorney in West Virginia. At The Segal Law Firm, we have been safeguarding the rights of individuals and businesses for nearly two decades, and have significant experience in handling train derailment cases, including those involving contamination from toxic chemicals.
What causes train derailments?
There are several reasons why a train derailment can occur. It is crucial to conduct a thorough examination of all of the facts of the accident in order to properly establish negligence. There may be more than one at fault party due to the type of materials being carried on the cars that could result in damage to individuals and property. The leading causes of derailments include:
- Poor and improper maintenance of tracks
- Collisions with other trains
- Improper switch alignment
- Failing to install adequate signals such as lights and gates
- Railroad crossing collisions with vehicles and trucks at hazardous crossings
- Mechanical failures of train engines or rail cars
- Overworked and tired train crews
- Improper training of train crews
- Understaffed track maintenance departments
- Improper removal of obstructions near railroad crossings
- Excessive speed of trains in poor weather conditions
Thousands of train accidents and derailments occur each year in the United States. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or death due to a train derailment accident, contact The Segal Law Firm for an experienced train derailment attorney.
Contact The Segal Law Firm in West Virginia for experienced and aggressive handling of any train derailment accident.